[ALL] How did you first get into The Sims?
I really love that we all have completely different stories about how we first started playing, whether you started way back at the beginning got into the games more recently, or saw someone else playing and thought that you had to try it. Much like our gameplay styles, the way that we got into the games is unique  bear

I remember reading a PC gaming magazine when I was about nine or ten and it mentioned The Sims being in development. I loved Sim City, but the idea of creating families and filling up a town appealed to me even more, so I would try to read anything that I could find about the game.

The game was eventually released rather conveniently just after my eleventh birthday (yeah I've been twenty-three since 2012) and that was where my birthday money went. I was addicted from the get-go and always hoped that it would rain so that I could play.

At some point over the next few years, we had internet installed and I discovered Around The Sims, SimsPlay (Shoukier), The Well Dressed Sim and several other sites. I would go online on the family PC, save my downloads to a floppy disk (or ten) and then go back upstairs to my own PC to install my new CC. 

Roll on several years and I've loved every sims game since and I'm still filling my PC with too much CC Smile

How did you first get into the game?

[Image: tumblr_pcpbds1Xmz1r4c5dxo1_400.jpg]
(08-05-2018, 12:02 AM)Hellfrozeover Wrote: I really love that we all have completely different stories about how we first started playing, whether you started way back at the beginning got into the games more recently, or saw someone else playing and thought that you had to try it. Much like our gameplay styles, the way that we got into the games is unique  bear

I remember reading a PC gaming magazine when I was about nine or ten and it mentioned The Sims being in development. I loved Sim City, but the idea of creating families and filling up a town appealed to me even more, so I would try to read anything that I could find about the game.

The game was eventually released rather conveniently just after my eleventh birthday (yeah I've been twenty-three since 2012) and that was where my birthday money went. I was addicted from the get-go and always hoped that it would rain so that I could play.

At some point over the next few years, we had internet installed and I discovered Around The Sims, SimsPlay (Shoukier), The Well Dressed Sim and several other sites. I would go online on the family PC, save my downloads to a floppy disk (or ten) and then go back upstairs to my own PC to install my new CC. 

Roll on several years and I've loved every sims game since and I'm still filling my PC with too much CC Smile

How did you first get into the game?

I remember seeing TS1 on the shelves at Best Buy when I was, like, 8 or 9, and my dad refused to let me buy them. (of course, Dad was there to do Boring Grownup Shit like buying printers. Lots of time to stare longingly at the cases.)

When I was 18--so 2010--my twin and I 'borrowed' TS3 from a friend after playing it at her house and now I've been simming ever since! I tried TS2 a few years ago and it wasn't really my thing--although, gosh, they had some outfits I would have loved when I was 12--and I also tried the TS4 create-a-sim thing and hated it.
There was a promo video included on the CD for SimCity 3000. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it! I always used to wish I could know more about the little sims living in SimCity, so it was a dream come true for me. There was no release date though and the internet wasn't yet as big a thing as it is now, so it didn't occur to me to look it up online. So I would just kind of check the shelves every time I was near a games store and then finally one day, it was there! I was 18 when I started playing, possibly not even quite 18 yet.

I bought it myself but my dad installed it on his PC too. He lost interest pretty quickly but I have to credit him for discovering all the custom content for TS1 and starting my addiction. I didn't have the internet on my own computer at the time, so I'd use his, download a whole bunch of stuff, put it on a ZipDisk (am I the only old person who remembers those?) and then put it into my game. I don't play TS1 any more but I'm still playing TS2 and just recently started out with TS4 as well.
Yes!! I remember that video and now that you mention it, I remember it being on my SimCity 3000 CD too. In a way, the internet not being so readily available kind of added a magic to the game Smile

I like this thread! This is one of the sims I love to know about other simmers!
I went to a shop and asked for a game without violence (it was good the shop assistent didn't know one can kill the sims on game or maybe I wouldn't have bought The Sims then. My girls loved it but I had ot help a little so we played the tutorial together and I thought them how to build the houses... but they only loved to play and decorate and aske often for me to build their houses. Of course we bougtht TS2 and they played more often than with the first one... I also built the houses but started to play too because TS2 was so much funnier than The Sims. At some point the girls didn`t play anymore and , because I had no more "excuses" I went on hiatus too! And never told anyone I missed it! As I read about TS3 I couldn't help myself anymore and bought it, just for me! Maybe it was a good thing World Adventure didn't work well on my pc! The worlds were empty! Because of it I looked for help in the official forum and googled about it, till I found a solutiion and many other things! Only then I noticed there were also "older" people playing the sims and tryed to talk with them... I also learned there were stories, tutorials, CC... and what not... only 2013 posted my first story an builds. Before I allways played alone... with a bad conscienc... because no women/mother I've know was playing on the pcs. One of my daughters started to play again, after she got married and became a kid... and now there are already 3 grandkids that love the sims! The oldest is 10 yeaars old, than 7 and 6. There's also a fourth grandkid... but she is nearly one year old... has still some years before she started.
I love your story about how you started to play Smile It's frustrating that adult gamers are often made to feel bad about their hobby, but luckily, given the age of the series, there are quite a few of us who have either grown up with it, like yourself, bought if your your children and loved it or got into it in other ways. I really like that the community is a large mixture of ages.

(08-05-2018, 01:42 PM)hafuhga Wrote: I like this thread! This is one of the sims I love to know about other simmers!
I went to a shop and asked for a game without violence (it was good the shop assistent didn't know one can kill the sims on game  or maybe I wouldn't have bought  The Sims then.  My girls loved it  but I had ot help a little so we played the tutorial together and I thought them how to build the houses... 

Aww, it's so cute that the Sims was a family thing for you guys!

I was introduced to the Sims by my cousin when i was about... 9? I don't remember. But I do remember that I was intrigued. I begged my parents to let me play, but they balked at the Teen rating (yet they let my brother play GTA when he was like 10 so... obviously they gave up after I, their firstborn, grew up a little.  Rolleyes ) My dad and i compromised and he let me "play" this "game" called 3d Home Architect (which was a real program for people to design their own home plans, apparently) so I could build houses like I wanted to in the Sims... finally I was old enough. It ran really badly on almost every computer my family owned until I got my own at about 16.  Big Grin I've played every generation of the sims extensively, except 4. I really don't like 4 for some reason.  Dodgy 

Funny thing is, I very nearly despise building in the sims now. So obviously i wanted the game for more than building!  Shy
Oh, that's so lovely that your whole family loves to sim, hafuhga!

A friend introduced me to Sims 1, shortly after it was published. I found it peculiar but the time management! That drove me away after a while. But then I read the announcement for Sims 2, got it immediately and played it since. Even after Sims 3 was published I said - No, Sims 2 forever! Big Grin Oh well. There are still things I miss from the Sims 2 (Soap! I want to put soap in public fountains! And the business of course, the social relationship system, but I digress). Also at first I thought - why are there only stupid houses everywhere for download? Who needs houses?! I was happy if my sims could live in boxes. Sim life was exciting enough! Ignat_01 Now you know my darkest secret...
So... Back in about... 1994 or so... I used to play SimCity 2000 a LOT. Sims though, as a game, wasn't really on my radar. I remember hearing stories about it (I can't recall when I heard these), mostly about sims locked in rooms on fire, or in houses without bathrooms, etc. etc. I kind of had a side-eye for these stories, and never even checked out the game.

Fast forward 20 or so years.... 

I have a friend who is -really- into cars. He attends car shows regularly, and in the summer this is sometimes every weekend. This one car show he went to a couple of years ago, had a raffle of the type where you get X number of tickets and then you put your tickets in bags for the specific prize types you want. I've always felt this is a nifty way to do a raffle, because then no one wins anything they're not interested in. In any case, he was apparently the only gaming nerd at this car show, because no one else put any tickets into the two games categories: PC, and Handheld. He therefore walked away with all the games.  Tongue

So after keeping a couple games for himself, he offered me first pick of what he didn't want. Among them were Sims3, University, and Pets. Since I'd heard about the game a lot, but never actually played it, I thought it might be funny to try it out. The addiction was fairly instant. Within about 8 months I owned all the EP's, SP's, and was well on my way to 'owning the store' as well.

I spent a lot of time on the Sims 3 site, a bit less on the official Sims 3 forums, and eventually made my way to tumblr... why tumblr is an entirely different story... which is where Acquiresimoleons found me and eventually linked me to this forum. xD
My best friend played TS2 back in 2006 when I visited her for playing.
Well we played some sessions and after that I begged my parents to buy Sims 2
I remember I had a pretty bad computer at that time but I was so happy that I was able to play The Sims without visiting my best friend lol
Later I got some of the expansionpacks and when Sims 3 came out I immediately begged my parents again xD
Wonderful time.
Topic Options